In the latest textbooks, the terminology has changed. It used to be called Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), but the new term is just Heart Failure (HF). In this study guide we will use the term heart failure.
1) Review and redefine the terms preload, after load, cardiac output, stroke volume, and Starling’s law of the heart.
2) How do the baroreceptors in the carotid arch influence hormone secretion in heart failure?
3) Explain the role of these hormones in heart failure:
4) What is the physiology that causes the primary symptoms of dyspnea, edema, and fatigue in heart failure?
5) Why does paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea (PND) occur primarily at night?
6) Contrast the etiology of left and right sided heart failure.
7) Differentiate Cor Pulmonale from right sided heart failure.
Comparison of heart, kidney, and liver failure symptoms